Annually, October is deemed as National Adopt-A-Pet Month, with the hopes and encouragement that more shelter animals are placed in “fur” ever homes. There are thousands of animals that are misplaced, abandoned, and sent to shelters, and some of them are able to find homes, yet sadly many more are euthanized. To increase awareness, local, regional and national shelters join together each year, to produce productivity among those who are able and willing to adopt a dog, cat or other animal from a local shelter.
If one is unable to adopt a pet from a local shelter, there are online and offline ways of contributing without having to adopt.
Several ways to assist in this worldwide endeavor are:
1. Contacting your local shelter and inquiring about a wish list they have for items they need to let others know.
2. Share an adoptable dog from a shelter, networking or other animal suppor group on your Facebook or Twitter page each day of the month. Using the hash tag #savedogs is also helpful and useful.
3. Add a Petfinder (or other animal support/rescue organization) widget and/or banner to your Web site or blog.
4. Write and op-ed about the importance of pet adoption for your local paper.
5. Donate to your local shelter or rescue group in honor of Adopt-A-Shelter Dog Month.
To find out more ways to help, please visit:
The Animal Rescue Site is also offering a pledge program to assist in helping with the Adopt-A-Shelter Dog program. Find out more, by visiting the site below:
ASPCA is also promoting Adopt-A-Shelter Dog by providing information and pictures about adoptable New York dogs, and are offering a Free Pet Safety Pack when you sign up to receive their News Alert. To sign up, visit the site below:
One of my favorite bands is joining the effort. The All-American Rejects’ lead guitarist and backing vocalist, Nick Wheeler, has teamed with their band mascot dog, Dexter and Petfinder, to giveaway a prize pack. Find out more details below:
Watch the cute video of Nick and his buddy, Dexter:
What are ways you assist in helping out with Adopt-A-Shelter Dog each year? Have any new ideas we didn’t mention? Provide them in the comment section below!